Ok honestly, when I first ever heard about what a bullet proof coffee was…. years ago, I about lost my mind! Coffee with BUTTER AND COCONUT OIL! Who in their right mind would put BUTTER in their coffee!!!! Yeah, I seriously said that. My friend tried to convince me on how good it was, and I honestly thought she had lost my mind. Now, keep in mind, this was years and years ago; way before keto was even popular and on “trend”.
Fast forward to a few years later, where I decided to hop on the keto train and try it out, is when I finally tried the bullet proof coffee, and I never looked back! I honestly, LOVE IT! Even when I’m not the keto diet, I still have a BP coffee. Definitly not all the time because of the fat, but I do have it from time to time. It really is good!
Now, a days there is many ways to make BP coffee. There are even so many creamers for BP coffee, but I like to stick with the good ol’ way and make mine simple. And, that’s exactly what I’m going to show you today!
- Of course, we want to start off with either brewing your coffee or warming up water. Since I use instant coffee, I just use this kettle that I purchased from Amazon (which I love) to heat up my water. It takes about 2-3 mins (depending on how much water is in the kettle).
*TIP- If you like your coffee to be hot, I would add the butter, coconut oil, and heavy cream Into your mug first and then pour your hot water. This will help with making sure your coffee is hot. I like to add my butter and cream after I add the water because it helps cool my coffee down a bit, and doesn’t it make it blistering hot when I go in for the first sip.
2. Add however much coffee you like. I’m not a strong coffee drinker, so I add about 1-1/2 tsp of instant ground coffee. I currently have been obsessed with Columbian coffee, so that’s what I’ve been drinking for awhile now.
3. Next, you will want to take 1 tbsp of butter and add to your coffee cup. I ONLY use Kerry Gold butter when it comes to making BP coffee. Never do I use any other butters. This butter may be expensive, but it seriously is the best… in my opinion!
4. After adding the butter, I take about 1 tsp of organic virgin coconut oil and add to your cup. I purchase this large tub of coconut oil from Costco.
5. I like to add a bit of sweetener to my coffee, and adding liquid stevia is my favorite. I love the Trader Joes liquid stevia brand.
6. To add more fats, especially when you are on the keto diet, I like to add heavy cream. Honestly, you will add however much heavy cream based on your preference. The heavy cream will dilute the coffee, so the more you add the less strong your coffee will be, Again, because I don’t like my coffee to be strong, I add my heavy cream (or you can use half and half as well) until my coffee turns a light brown color.
7. Lastly, you will want to stir your coffee. Once you stir it, everything will melt. If you are having a problem seeing all the fats sitting on top of your coffee (from the butter and oil), you can use a frother and it will froth your coffee. This may help, in case you struggle with that type of thing. I use this frother and I love it. I don’t have that problem, but I do sometime enjoy having my coffee to have a top layer of froth.
And of course, if you want to add other sweeteners like sugar free syrups you can absolutely do that, and sometimes I even add my powder collagen to my coffee. You can’t taste the collagen at all!
Don’t forget to save this post to your Pinterest in case you may need to refer back to it in the future!
This post does contain affiliate links. I do make a small commission if you purchase something from my links, but in no way shape or form does this increases the price of the product(s) in which you are paying for. As always, all opinions and thoughts are my own.