DIY projects have been one of my favorite projects lately. I love being able to turn something old into something ‘new’. Also, DIYing things that no longer fit your current style can be a great way to try and make it fit your current style just by either spray painting or painting it.
What I also love, is how you can take Dollar Tree glass jars/pots and completely change the look of it, just as I did here. Doesn’t look like it came from Dollar Tree right?
So, I’m going to show you how to do this easy simply faux clay pot, all which cost less than $5 (including the pot, if you buy from the Dollar Tree).
What you need:
- Glass or ceramic pot/jar/vase
- Acrylic Paint
- Baking Soda
- Paint Brush
- You want to make sure whatever it is that you are painting is clean. Wipe it down and dry it.
- If you have a plastic cup or paper plate add your acrylic paint to it
- Start by adding 1 tbsp of baking soda. Depending how ‘grainy’ you want your faux clay pot to look like you will want to add more. I usually do 1-2 tbsp on the first layer, and then add a little more once you do the second layer.
- Mix mixture really well and then start painting. Allow the first layer to dry for 30-40 minutes
- Once the first layer is dried, start painting on the second layer. Here is when I personally like to add a little bit more baking soda to the paint mixture, just do I can get the clay looking pot look that I want. Allow to completely dry for at least 1 hour
* Play around with acrylic paints to get the perfect color you are looking for. Since I love brown and neutral tones, I like getting a brown color paint and then white and mix the two together, which creates the perfect NUDE tone for me.
* When painting the second coating, try different brush strokes. It will give it more texture and the look of it being a clay pot.